1. HERBS TO IMPROVE PERCEPTION. They are prana moving herbs that open channels, increase cerebral circulation and remove mucus from the head. They increase perception and discrimination, facilitating the process of insight and meditation.
- Calamus, tulsi, basil, bayberry, sage, elecampane.
These herbs are taken along with warm water and honey to improve their effects.
2. HERBS TO INCREASE AWARENESS & STRENGTHEN THE MIND Theses are special tonic that increase soma in the nervous system, helping us to gain concentration, contentment and joy and to overcome pain.
- brahmi, gotu kola, ashwagandha, shatavari, lotus seeds, shilajit.
These herbs, like the tonics for the body which they resemble, are usually taken along with warm milk, raw sugar, raw honey, ghee and other nutritive items to boost their strengthening powers.
3. HERBS TO CALM THE MIND. These are mild sedative and pain relieving agents, but also slow down the mind for meditation. They are less nutritive than the mind tonics and better for reducing anxiety and agitated nerves.
- valerian, nutmeg, passion flower, kava kava, scullcap
These herbs may be taken with other soothing agents like ghee to improve their calmative properties.