- 8 cups water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 bulb garlic (at least 10 cloves), minced
- One 1 1⁄2 inch (3 1⁄2 cm) piece of fresh gingerroot grated
- 1 1⁄2 cups salted vegetable soup stock (I use chicken broth)
- 5 pieces sliced dried Astragalus Root
- 2 cups fresh, sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 1 large reishi mushroom
- cayenne powder, if desired
Heat olive oil, sauté garlic, onions, and ginger until soft and aromatic. Add contents of skillet to water. Add broth, shiitake, astragalus, and reishi. Simmer covered for two hours.
Remove from heat, allow to sit for two more hours.
Remove astragalus and reishi mushrooms. Reheat.
Add salt and pepper to taste, and cayenne powder if desired. (just enough to bring out a light sweat)