11/20/2014 2 Comments
The Wise Progression of Health
Like a yoga practice, there is a wise progression (krama) to health. Often it is most helpful start with what is most gentle and has the least amount of potentially harmful side effects. Yet sometimes, we need to jump in at the top of this progression, depending on our condition. If you have a large organ infection or have a motorcycle accident, emergent care is necessary. Yet even in those times, make sure you support the foundational pieces as well.
STEP 0 - DO NOTHING
· Literally do nothing.
· This means slowing down our habitual activity
· Unplug the clock and computer and TV
· Go to a restful retreat
· Give your mind and body a chance to reboot on its own, for as Hippocrates says "Let thy body heal itself."
STEP 1 - COLLECT INFORMATION
· Start to notice when the dis-ease is active
· Keep a food diary, sleep diary, note stressful situations in your life and make notes as to when the issues is more alive.
· Think back to when the problem began. What else changed in your life around that time?
· Notice patterns.
· Get some low-tech diagnosis
· Read books,
· Do on-line research,
· Find support groups or a coach.
STEP 2 - ENGAGE THE ENERGY
· Practice Meditation
· Cry and express anger in ways that are safe
· Engage in a ceremony
· Employ energetic modalities such as energy healing, flower essences, homeopathy.
STEP 3 - NOURISH AND TONIFY
· Exercise in a manner that feels nourishing (yoga, qi gong, swimming)
· Choose foods that are nourishing, with vitamins, minerals, protein, as well as fats that contain good cholesterol for hormones, cells, and brain function.
· Get a massage
· Give and receive hugs
· Work with herbal infusions, vinegars and tonics
· Engage in Samyoga practices, those that nourish us and connect us to our deepest aspect of self.
STEP 4 - STIMULATE & SEDATE
· For every stimulation/sedation there is an opposite effect sooner or later.
· Employ herbal tinctures that drive the energy
· Work with Acupuncture, cleanses and other practices.
· Engage in Viyoga practices, those that separate us from who we are not, the things that limit our fullness.
STEP 5 - USE DRUGS
· Employ extreme, powerful herbs that edge toward the toxic side of the spectrum.
· Employ supplements that are synthesized or concentrated vitamins, minerals or food substances.
· Employ nutraceticals and pharmaceuticals.
STEP 6 - BREAK & ENTER
· This includes going into the body
· Not only surgery and invasive diagnostic tests such as mammograms and C-T scans
· Also colonics, radiation therapies, psychoactive drugs.
 This is taken from and based on Susun Weed's Six Steps of Healing, which has been modified with yoga techniques and my own understanding of her system.